Saturday, September 7, 2013

End of Summer Fun-filled Saturday

For nearly the past week, Adam has been out of town. A good college friend is getting married but unfortunately we can't make it to the wedding so Adam did the next best thing - go to the bachelor party. It isn't so much a party as a getaway. Three days fishing in the Florida Keys. Insert a fair amount of envy here. Which means its just me and the kids. Thankfully I have an amazing group of friends who have pitched in taking Sofia to and from preschool and watching the boys while I go to work. You guys are amazing. So this weekend I was hoping to really spend some time with Sofia and the boys. So far it has started out great. 

Sofia acted as my live alarm clock this morning, climbing into bed at 7 am and promptly asking if she could play a game on my phone. Sure, why not, it's Saturday. So we stayed in bed a bit until both boys woke up. Then it was French toast for breakfast and getting ready to start the day. I had plans to meet some friends for lunch but first I wanted to get my eyebrows threaded. Sofia loves going to the eyebrow place with me. I think it's because I usually let her play on my phone so she'll stay quiet and sit still. Plus it's at a shopping center with a Cornology around the corner so it's a good excuse to buy popcorn to treat ourselves. Which we did. Cheddar popcorn this time. Sofia's pick. 

We decided to go to downtown Martinez for lunch with our friends, which was perfect because there was a car show going on. Although the lunch itself could have been better (less than stellar service and average food), walking around the car show afterwards was pretty awesome. I personally feel like my car is just a thing to get me from point A to point B so I have never been too particular about my own car, but I LOVE looking at all the work people put into restoring older cars, especially american cars. Everything is so clean and shiny. They just don't make them like that anymore, do they?? Sofia was smitten with this amazing pink car, a Cadillac maybe? She took a photo in front of it and then told the man who was fixing something in the front seat, "you have a really pretty car." Adorable. 

Then we ran over to pick up my friend/coworker to go to a tomato festival. We had originally wanted to get together and maybe go for a walk or go to a park or something. Then I got a postcard in the mail that Smith Family Farm in Brentwood was having a San Marzano/Heirloom Tomato Festival. My family has been going to Smith Family Farm for years to get tomatoes for our annual sauce making. Vickie was down for some fun farm times so we drove out there to catch the tail end of the festival. I had never been so I wasn't sure what to expect. Although it was a small festival, I would go again. 

By the time we got to the farm, Sofia is about three hours past due for a nap, but she did surprisingly well. She had the most fun running through this hay bale tunnel. She would have just kept running circles through that thing all day if we had the time. She also got to dig for earthworms, make a herb bouquet, watch bees make honey, pet a donkey and check out a replica Miwok Indian village. Surprisingly she said one of her favorite parts was the Quiet Area, a small zen garden with a cute little fountain and a stone labyrinth. It was very peaceful. Had time and children allowed, I would have enjoyed sitting and listening to the band play. I'm not sure who was playing when we were there, but there was this nice bluegrass trio that must have done the entire Oh, Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. That's my favorite movie, by the way. 

The day was ended with ginormous Starbucks iced teas and having kids that were so far past their expiration dates that all three went to sleep without a fight. Sure they were dirty, but they weren't crying! 

I didn't think about grocery shopping or laundry or running errands once today. I just enjoyed being with my friends and family. It was glorious. 

Tomorrow the only thing on the agenda is a birthday party, but who knows what other kinds of adventures we can squeeze in. 

Gorgeous, both of you. 

That dog has sunglasses on! 

A hay maze, even though it only only one entrance/exit. 

I'm surprised she didn't ask me to buy this scarecrow. She kept going up to it and staring at it. She even gave it a hug at one point. 

The quiet area. 

Doing our best scarecrow impersonations. 




No comments:

Post a Comment