Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween is by far my most favorite holiday. It always has been. Yes the candy and chocolate is definitely a highlight of the day, but the costumes are what it's all about. I was lucky enough to grow up with a mom that is an amazingly talented seamstress, so halloween costumes and prom dresses were never a problem. I imagined it up and she would make it.  I remember being a punk rock ballerina one year. And in high school my mom made an amazing renaissance costume that I used for all kinds of occasions. My senior year I wanted to be a rainbow, so we made that happen. I was a witch countless times but never the same costume. 

Here are some photos of my costumes growing up. I'm pretty sure my mom made all of these. (Also, excuse the picture of a picture. I'm too lazy to do this right by scanning in the photos first. They aren't high quality to begin with...)


Adorable witch. I must have been two here, right? 


My brother the sorcerer and I was a CanCan girl

Clown! 

This was by far one of my favorites. Roman goddess. I still have it. 

So of course I want to be able to do the same thing for my kids. Up to this point I've had creative license with Sofia's costumes. We talked her into being Max from Where the Wild Things Are last year. Her twin brothers were Wild Things. I always remember being so cold trick or treating in my costumes. This was perfect since everyone was pretty much in pajamas, especially since it rained last year.


This year I had hoped Sofia would want to be something from Despicable Me mostly so her brothers could be minions, but no, she wanted to be Sofia the First. I am NOT going to try and make that costume. We'd just have to buy it, which is also fine by me since we'd get a nice one from the Disney store so she can use it to dress up in for years to come. Except when we got to the Disney store, she saw this other dress from the movie Frozen (which has yet to come out) and was instantly smitten. I'll admit it is an awesome dress, but I have no idea who this character is! So I hesitated at first but after she asked me for the 1200 time to go buy the "snowflake dress" I realized it really doesn't matter, as long as she likes it.

She LOVED it. And she looked amazing. I think it was the wig. There were tons of other Disney princesses out trick-or-treating but Sofia seemed to get such an amazing response. She loves going door to door and seeing all the scary decorations. Her trick-or-treating partner in crime was younger than her and a little spooked by some of the scarier houses. "It's okay, Charlotte. It's only fake! HAHAHAHA" and she'd laugh to reassure Charlotte there is nothing to be afraid of. So sweet.

I have a feeling Sofia is going to love Halloween as much as I do.







We were outside taking photos and Jacob was banging at the window at his sister.
The loot! So glad she's not able or allowed to eat this all herself... Just saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment