Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bucket list

Adam is a man of many dreams. He is constantly thinking about the things he'd like to do, buy, see, complete, build, and work towards. He often shares these dreams with me, many of which I think are just dreams for the sake of dreaming about something. Although the man may have his head in the clouds, I know sometimes those are actual goals he would like to see accomplished. I do my fair share of dreaming as well, mostly dreaming about all the things I'd do if I ever won the lottery, but I do not make many long terms goals. It's just not my style. I am more of a day by day kind of person. I can't bother myself with worrying about where we will be in ten years when I'm trying to get a laundry list of stuff done this week.

However the other day I read an article in the paper about a young nursing student who had passed away but whose friends and family were going to try and complete her bucket list. She was already able to cross off one huge item off her bucket list, she saved someone's life by being an organ donor. She actually saved several lives.  Here was a young 21-year old woman who had already mapped out the things she wanted to do with her life and here I am, a 30-something that is only worried about what I'm going to make for dinner. Perhaps Adam is right and I should spend a little energy on dreaming a bit more.  So I started creating my own bucket list.

Instantly I knew Travel the World would be on my list, but that seemed a bit broad. So I tried to define that and created this never ending list of places I wanted to visit. Well now that's too detailed. Plus would I really be able to travel the whole entire world? Just the shear cost and time investment in that is mind-boggling, even if spread over a lifetime. Instead I tried to focus on the places that I would be saddened to not have visited before my time is up. All the other places would just be bonuses.

Then I started listed all these places I'd like to live in which is different from just visiting somewhere. Although I don't find listing home locations that odd since the retirement plan includes a ginormous RV, I was surprised at just how many places were on the list. This would prove difficult seeing as I don't want to be moving every few years. And the RV retirement plan mostly limits us to the contiguous 48 states (well maybe Alaska wouldn't be so hard to get to) so limited time and limited locations limits the list. So I took out most of the Where I'd Like to Live stuff too.

I barely started my list and all that's on there is traveling stuff. I had to really think about what kinds of other things I wanted to do. I also wanted to make sure I was including things that I could realistically do. There's a difference between "if I win the lottery" and honest to goodness real life.

So here is my bucket list so far. I'm sure it will constantly be changing and evolving.
Sabrina's Bucket List:

1. Visit all 50 states 
2. Live in Hawaii for at least one year 
3. Volunteer as a camp host in a national park 
4. Visit Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks 
5. Learn how to ride a skateboard 
6. Learn how to golf 
7. Watch a live taping of Dancing With the Stars (if for whatever reason I actually have 15 minutes of fame, then I'll change this to being a contestant - but what are the odds...)
8. Swim with dolphins
9. Eat a lobster roll in Maine
10. Eat some crab cakes in Maryland
11. Grow a garden large enough to support 75% of all our cooking for a year
12. Take an actually culinary class from a culinary school
13. Do something heroic
14. Go cliff diving
15. Own a convertible car (again)
16. Stay in a super expensive hotel room (like a penthouse suite or something)

What do you think? Do you have a list too?? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sabrina,

    I think this list is doable!! I think you can already check off #13 - Do something Heroic. You're a great mom of three wonderful kids - that is heroic enough!! :) I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, I would definitely have something about reading a multitude of books! Not enough time for reading these days, but I would want to make sure I soaked in as many as I could before my time is up! Good luck with the bucket list!

    ReplyDelete